Monday, January 06, 2020

Monday Examen

Prayerful Review of Sunday

One question this week: How have you proclaimed the message of Christ to those who may not have been expecting to hear it?

Let yourself enter into God's presence.

Grateful for from Sunday:
1) Visiting with the B family. Healthy, spiritually alive, animated, funny. I loved listening to C tell about how God led her to put her daughter in a certain school. It is so life-giving to hear stories of how God is intersecting in people's lives.
2) Michelle's Baby Shower - what a privilege to be invited into finding out what the sex of her baby is (still a secret because people in Australia do not know). Good to talk to Karen who stayed at our home in 2010. 

Morning - It was calm. I contemplated the Two Standards and sought the grace to discern the deceits of the enemy (the rebel chief) and help guard against them and a deeper knowledge of the ways of Jesus (the sovereign, true commander) and the grace to imitate them. The questions related to the two paths: Riches, Honor/Esteem, Pride versus Poverty, Dishonor, Humility were so good. I want to be read for humble service that will bring glory to him. This latest humbling was God's teaching for me. I have observed the accusations and sought wise counsel. I am at total rest now. 

Mid-morning - I noticed God in the words of encouragement of George as we drove up to Portland. What a gem of a man. I will forever be grateful for the loving man that he is. I told him he is the most Christ-like person I have ever met, and I see so much of him that has been passed on to our sons. So, it was such a good time in the car together. 

Middle of the Day - George dropped me off at Michelle's at 11:55am. I was the only one there for about 20 minutes. Michelle radiates Jesus, and she is glowing as a pregnant woman. I had not seen her for 2 1/2 years since she lives in Australia. (I should mention I also got to hug Josh who met George for lunch while I was at the shower.)

Afternoon - I had a good talk with Karen. She was married a few months after we had a heart-to-heart about marriage at my home. Michelle had come to spend the night with her, and she was thinking about moving here and living with Michelle, but God said no, and within weeks she was dating her husband (and Michelle ended up moving to California)! I should also mention that now, almost ten years later, she and her husband want to move to our area. So that would be nice. I really like her. Her friend joined us a little later. Not quite as warm and friendly as Karen, but I have no prior relationship. We did connect a bit because she is a homeschooler.  Last year through the Exercises, Mike (my spiritual director) pointed out how authentic connection is threaded throughout my whole life. I realize how much I hope for it with every single person that I meet. It is good to not do that some times. 

Late afternoon - we left the shower to go to Sue and Bob's. Sue is George's cousin. George had a baseball glove and picture for Bob and Robbie their son. They were tickled. Then, we had such a pleasant time with them. They are such an on-fire for the Lord family. I loved hearing Robbie's wife, Carrie, tell me about how God led her to put her daughter in a certain school. There was an authentic connection made there. :) They are also people so curious about our lives too. It was a great visit. Driving home in the car, we were so filled. George had such a great time with Josh, and I had such a great weekend filled with loving people. But I realized that I was very tired.

Evening - I don't know if I felt the presence of God so much in the evening. I watched the last part of the Golden Globe Awards. I loved Tom Hanks speech. He choked up the first thing about his family. It was so lovely. Other than that, I realized that the only things I had ever seen were The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Crown (yay Olivia Coleman). I had not seen any of the movies or other TV shows nominated. The thing that won over Maisel was a show I watched for two minutes and turned off because it was so disgusting. I usually really love award shows, but I did not this time. I did watch one of the Sunday morning news shows while I puttered. 

I was asleep very early.

Forgive me, Lord, for my interaction with the woman that was not warm and friendly. I often don't know how to interact with them and realize that I get scared. Why is that? Would you show me why? Why was I so glued to my seat with her? Why didn't I just go on to other people? (I knew no one else except Karen and Michelle's parents - surprised.)

The most meaningful part of the day: Seeing Michelle glowing with pregnancy. She waited so long to be married, and she seems so happy. Also my conversation with George's cousin's family. It was lovely to be with warm, talkative (more talkative than me which I have no problem with), and Spirit-led and filled people. 

Lord, what do you want me to know about that? 

Sitting here in your presence, I have such peace. 

Let me see your presence today. Bless George on the road and at work and bless Paul's first day on his new job!! I pray for Michael to get a job! Bless his day too. I love my three men!!!!

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...