Wednesday, December 11, 2019

124. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd


 
I was a little hesitant to read this book because I didn't really care for her hugely popular book, The Secret Life of Bees. So I have always been hesitant to read this author again.  But this book was a lovely surprise. I loved it!  

This book is a poignant work of historical fiction about slavery in Charleston, South Carolina. What I did not realize while reading this novel was that two of the main characters were based on two real-life abolitionist sisters, Sarah and Angelina Grimke, and Sarah's slave maid, Hetty "Handful" (although most of the story about Handful was fictionalized because not much is known about her). 

I particularly liked the two narrators who took turns narrating for Sarah and Handful in this audiobook. It is a great read. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...