Tuesday, December 10, 2019

123. Salt Houses by Hala Alyan


30971664. sy475
Love This Cover!
This is a sweeping, multi-generational novel of a Palestinian family that is uprooted through war and conflict, and seeking a better life traveling from their homeland of Palestine to Kuwait, Jordan, Lebanon, France, and the United States. It is a piece of historical fiction that is very well-written. 

Each chapter is told through the eyes of the different members of the family across the generations. I had a little bit of difficulty understanding what was happening so I read a book summary that helped me understand that it jumps back and forth in time. That doesn't bother me too much, but it has bothered people in my Book Babes Book Club in the past. So we will see how they handle this non-linear story! 

This gives the Palestinian view of the conflict in the Middle East that is poignant and insightful. One of my favorite non-fiction books from a Palestinian perspective is Blood Brothers (received an 8.9/10 with the Book Babes in 2007).

Another book I thought about that helps give a great overall perspective of this conflict is The Arabs by David Lamb. I found myself thinking back to what I learned from this book many times during the reading of this novel. It also gives a balanced perspective of the problems in this region. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you read The Lemon Tree?

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...