Thursday, December 05, 2019

121. Becoming by Michelle Obama



I LOVED most of this book. Her upbringing and family life were so wonderful. I admire her for her fortitude and discipline. She is a very intelligent, beautiful woman. She spoke at one of the Oregon State University graduations, and it was the best graduation speech I had ever heard. (She spoke because her brother was the OSU basketball coach.) . The book elaborated on many of the things that she talked about in that graduation speech. I admire her marriage, parenting, etc. She seems like a stellar individual. 

I cried hearing her views of the Inauguration. That day, I cried with my friend as we texted back and forth during it. America had come so far!  

I also loved hearing about life in the White House, and how she strove to keep their family grounded with their new "normal." I loved her White House Garden. I loved how she let the staff wear more casual clothes on days no one would be visiting. I loved that they spent their own money when redecorating the White House even though there was 100,000 dollar allocated for it.

All that said, I laughed out loud when she said toward the end of her book, "I am not political." Are you kidding me? She had just spent the last several pages slamming the other party. Own it, Michelle, you are political and believe you are the morally "right" one when it comes to your husband's policies. That is OK. You ARE political, and I am glad you are on the same page as your husband but OWN IT that you are political. I think it is her blind spot. 

That is where the end of the book really made me sad, she did such a good job for most it not being political. There was also the subtle implication that if you opposed her husband's policy, you were racist. People just believe differently than you. Michelle. That is all. Just a different way of looking at how to achieve a better America. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...