Thursday, December 12, 2019

Thursday Freewrite

Light - I ask you, God, to shed light on yesterday to see it through your eyes.

I love that my scripture reading for this morning started with 

"Those who walk in darkness 
Will see a great LIGHT. 
Those who walk in a dark land, 
The LIGHT will shine on them" (Isaiah 9:2)

Also, it is cool that after I read this at the beginning of the pulpit prayer last week. Then, Mike's sermon in Luke had this as a reference in it. 

Gratitude - Recalling two to three things I am grateful for:

  1. My job as a volunteer at the library. I enjoy the library people and got to see Mary. I miss her. 
  2. Dr. Myers doing deeper muscle work in my spine because I didn't have a presenting problem. 
Replay the Day and Pay Attention to Feelings - Where I sensed God's presence and where I did not.

6:45 Time in Pray as You Go and Exercise for Everyone. Meditating in Isaiah 40 two days in a row was so great. I loved dialoguing with God over this question, 

"What is God asking you to prepare the way for?" 

My answer was "Teach people to rest." I feel led to companion people in rest. The next day the Pray as You Go people said, "only in God can we truly rest in reference to "They run and do not grow weary" in Isaiah 40:31. I want people to feel the strengthening and renewing power of those words. Not running on our own power but God's.

I installed a new sound driver on my computer. I have been meaning to redo this forever because the sound output is too low and it does not silence when I plug in my headphones. Consequently, I cannot listen to things when I am in the library. 

8:20 Went Dr. Myers for an 8:45 appointment. (Tire pressure low warning came on 20 minutes away from home, but more about that later.) I thought about canceling the because I had no pain having massaged it out myself five days earlier.  I told him that I almost canceled, but he said it is good to have him work on me when I don't have pain so he can go deeper into the muscles. There is this one right in the center of my back that was really painful when he applied pressure. He worked it out and released it! YAY! There is great importance in working with the body center in giving me life. It is not all about the heart, Carol. That was life-giving.

9:45 On the way back, I stopped at Les Schwab Tire Center. George told me it is free to have them put air in your tire. Who knew? George always takes care of that.  The man (really a boy) said he wanted to have the tire checked for a nail, but it was a wait of 45 minutes. I went and did my Dial a Book deliveries in the meantime (all but the Conifer Book Club lady's bag) really quickly. K and G were not there, but dear C was there and was slow getting her book. I wished I weren't in such a rush. 

10:45 I got back just in time, but they were still not ready for me. So I left my car there and walked to the bank to deposit my check. (I OVERPAID on our property taxes!) I came back but the car was still not ready so I went to Coffee Culture to pick up K's Christmas gift card (she asked for this). I also got an Egg Nog Chai latte and had a pleasant convo with the barista. I love that place and must remember to go there more often. I used the gift card S & G gave me for my birthday. 

They were still working on the car. So I sat down and listened to The Invention of Wings book. I did not feel rushed or stressed about the possible flat tire. This is where the Exercises have made that subtle difference in how I approach each day. It really is a miracle that God has wrought. I suppose you would have to live in my brain to understand that. Time is important to me (that is where my Type One perfectionist wing comes out most often). It could have "set me back" in my day, but I did not have that attitude. 

11:45 Quickly rebooted my computer because of the sound card reinstall and gobbled down some lunch. 

12:00 The computer was still rebooting when my Enneagram of the Higher Mind class was starting so I had to use my phone. I decided to be bold and ask a question in the class (170 people were in the Zoom Meeting Room). Last time I took a class from him, I asked a question during every single class. This one has been somewhat over my head. So I have just listened and learned from other people's questions. My question was the first one he answered! It was so helpful. This class was all about doing the deeper work and not just learning about it all and going, "That is my personality type, and I will live with it." This is all about growing in virtue. I like that. Russ is so heavily influenced by Don Riso, the former Jesuit priest who he partnered with for years. I wish I could have known him before he died of pancreatic cancer. For the first time since I started this class (and relistened to all the classes last week), I think I am finally "getting it." Much of what he was saying today in the class was so Ignatian! So I had no trouble tracking with him.

1:30 Breakout groups for the class. The question for discussion was "How do these deeper states of awareness flow into everyday life?"

I have only done this one other time. We meet for 30 minutes in a group of five. Carrie, the lovely facilitator for the class, specifically said to make sure you give everyone time to talk and to think about the fact that there are five people and 30 minutes. So in my mind, that is 30/5 = 6 minutes per person (really five when you factor in introductions, transitions, and sign-offs). Well, this one girl went on for 15 minutes! My camera was not working (I think installing the new sound card messed my camera up) so I was preoccupied with this, but no one was jumping in to get her to stop her non-stop talking. I was half-listening while I messed with my camera, but I watched the clock tick. I contemplated just leaving the virtual room because of my camera difficulties, but I prayed into this (going to my Type 4 inner room) and decided to stay. 

I quit trying to fix the camera settling for voice only. I also stepped in to facilitate the group by saying, "What about the rest of you?" I was not rude, but I really believe she would have continued to talk for the whole 30 minutes. Now we had 15minutes/4 = 3+ minutes per person. I think the others were probably happy I said something. I have always been into everyone having a say. Instead of getting frustrated, I went to the healthy side of Type 8 (leader) and intervened. I continued to facilitate it from then on and everyone was given a voice. I know that one of the ladies said, "Thank you" because she was not the type to interrupt. She had worthwhile things to say, and I wanted to hear them. The woman who apparently was not there did not know she was in a room but heard us call for her. She had some great things to say. Even though it was rushed for the rest of us, I was glad everyone had a voice. 

2:00 Worked on my camera and finally rebooted everything. The camera has returned.

I had a busy morning so I puttered the rest of the afternoon. I cannot remember everything I did.  I wrote a review of The Invention of Wing, watched the news, scheduled spiritual direction appointments, and read Voices of Chernobyl and Slaves in the Family. I also watched Outlander. I am still deciding whether this is worthwhile to watch. I just cannot bring myself to watch mindless Christmas movies though. 

8:00 Survivor - This is the only show I have watched continually since its inception. More Outlander too. I guess because I am Scottish I feel like I will learn something, but my family is not from the Highlands. I also watched RHOD - I really do it to observe the lack of peacemaking among women! I wonder what I would do in the situation. I have this thing about observing human behavior. I want to help them all get along. Is that so wrong? LOL! 

10:30 Fell asleep listening to Betsy-Tacy book. 

Rejoice and Seek Forgiveness 
  • Strongest feeling of consolation: Seeing growth in the curve-ball of the tire. It only ended up putting me 40 minutes behind in my morning but not really. The bright side is that I got exercise doing two errands on foot in the 30-minute wait (even though they said it would be 5-10 minutes). I have grown because I am such a time person.
  • Strongest feeling of desolation: Speaking of being a time person, the strongest feeling of desolation was when that girl talked on and on and took up everyone else's time. I "caught myself in the act" though (as Russ Hudson would say)! I acknowledged my frustration to God: people who take other people's time and do not pay attention to specific directions frustrate me. I dealt with my anger (it is ok for me to say that word now) before I intervened. I didn't go to the unhealthy side of Type 8 (anger and dominance) or te unhealthy side of Type 4 by withdrawing and not saying anything. 
Look to the Future - 

I must decide about going to the IMG today. I do not feel a calling to invest there. It is great to support S and observe the dynamics because she is very open to input about her leadership.

N for spiritual direction. I think the morning or late afternoon would be best.

Encourage P as he heads out for another job interview at 2:30.

Book Club at AJ.

Writing and editing of Exercises for Everyone.

Writing and editing of Type 5 and Type 8 profiles. 

One practical thing I can commit to doing today that will express love for You and for others - Listening to and loving on N during spiritual direction. Supporting P as he heads out to his interview.  

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...