Sunday, December 02, 2012

52 in 52 Week 49: Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

I really want to read Christmas books in December, but I had this book recommended to me by a friend, and I thought it would be good to read it near the time I read Argo and saw the movie since they both deal with the same time period in Iran.

While I had a hard time with the beginning of the book because I have never read Lolita and was afraid the author would spoil the book for me. I am glad I persevered. This author is so insightful about the changes that took place in Iran after the Shah fell in 1979. I love how she weaves literature into the narrative. It is an excellent book

 I didn't really care for the narrator. Her accent really annoyed me. Couldn't they have found a Persian to read the book?  I think that would have been much more effective. Other than this, I loved this book. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...