Friday, January 01, 2016

2. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity For Women Worldwide


Must have listened to an interview on PBS because I have no idea why this book was on my audiobook Library2Go "Wish List" for reading. 

I needed a book to read, but it was not the most pleasant reading the week before Christmas, but it was fine for starting out the New Year, so I put it on hold and finished it after Christmas. 

I almost abandoned it because the authors are so left-leaning that it is almost comical. Any slam of the Bush (elder and younger) administration is relished with abandon. "Surprise" is always communicated when a democrat does something anti-women, policy-wise. Contrarily, there is surprise when a republican does anything pro-women. So, it got a little tedious to listen to for that reason. 

With all that said, the stories of women around the world are heart-breaking. What some of those women did with their suffering is inspiring. So, I solute the women they highlight and not their silly BIAS in reporting these stories. I also liked Chapter 9 on Women and Islam. I found it very sound. The book would have been so much better if they would have left their their LEFTNESS out of the whole thing! 

Lord willing, I would like to donate a percentage of my earnings through personal training and Pilates to some of the worthy causes highlighted in this book. So there! I am a conservative who cares for women. I wish the authors would just realize we are "all in this together"! 

One particularly moving story is on YouTube:

Story of Muktar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhKyPOuRvA


No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...