Saturday, February 15, 2014

Acts 4:31 - Surfing Spirit Waves

It may not be pretty, but I was surfing Waikiki in February 2012
HIS WORDS

And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

MY STUDY/REFLECTION

I need the context of this verse before I can write it in my own words because one of my mentors, Kay Arthur, says, "When it comes to interpretation, context is king." 

Peter and John had been seized by the Sanhedrin who "commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus." I love their answer:

"Whether it is right in the sight of God 
to give heed to you rather than to God, 
you be the judge; [they gave heed to God!] 
for we cannot stop speaking 
about what we have seen and heard."

It was all about OVERFLOW, they were just riding the wave of the Spirit into shore. God was propelling them forward that is ALL! 

The Sanhedrin let them go (after threatening them further), and Peter and John reported back to the followers of Jesus who were gathered in one place, and they lifted up their voices to God with ONE ACCORD. The end of their prayer was in spite of great opposition . . . 
". . . do whatever Your hand and Your purpose predestined to occur. And now, Lord, take note of their threats, and grant that Your bond-servants may speak Your word with all confidence, while You extend Your hand to heal and signs and wonders take place through the name of Your holy servant Jesus." (4:28-30)
This so goes along with my Old Testament study in Exodus right now! (I LOVE how you orchestrate everything! See my REFLECTION on Exodus 4 HERE.) Moses was telling God that He was not eloquent in speech, and God was saying that has nothing to do with it because I AM.  It is all about HIM, not my abilities or inabilities. We just need to stand up (or get up on our knees or even just ride on our stomach on a boogie board) and ride the wave of the Spirit where God intends us to go. Some of us are not even in the water (mingling with people who do not yet know the wonder of the grace of God). Once we see the need for and get over our fear of water we can dive in. Then, we just need to paddle out to the breaks and ride the wave. He will always take us back to shore. :)

It also goes along with what you told me at the Pastor's Prayer Summit, and my identity/destiny name as BOLDLY BELOVED. This is my little illustration that goes along with it:


MY WORDS

After the followers of Jesus who were gathered had prayed that God would grant them confidence to speak His Word despite opposition and threats, the place where they were gathered began to shake, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking the Word of God boldly and confidently. 

I WILL

Continue to pray for our Kingdom Community (including ME) to be filled with the Holy Spirit and to speak the Word of God with boldness and confidence. Specifically, I will write a letter to our prayer team and ask them to pray Acts 4:28-31 for us. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...