Saturday, August 24, 2024

A Well-Trained Wife by Tia Levings


This will probably be the hardest review I have ever written. 

I cried through every page. I am crying now. 

I will be brief:

Read this book.

It will help you understand that there is truly a disgusting undercurrent in Christianity today. It isn't just in "cult-like" Christianity. 

If you are a pastor, please be humble and read it to understand the HORROR that happens in countless "good Christian homes" worldwide. You need to wake up and protect women and hold men accountable for their abuse.

If you are a happy follower of Jesus with a good marriage and have never experienced this, you still need to read this. It is happening. Mark my words, it is happening! Practice compassion. Quit judging. 

If you are offended by the language, get over it and read it. 

As I read through tears, I tried to remember where we were on Tia's timeline when I slept in Beth's room with Tia on the floor in June of 2002. It was our second official Trapdoor retreat in South Carolina. (When you read the book, you will see a chapter with that title. I'm Carolfoasia.)  

Trapdoor Retreat June 2002. Greenville, South Carolina

I don't remember what we talked about, but I know it was late into the night, I remember Tia being so brilliant, creative, and wonderful. I have always loved her. But that night, there was something in the shadows. I wanted to ask the deeper questions, and I wish I had. 

Reading about what was hidden in the shadows breaks my heart. My tears flowed. And my blood boiled! 

I wish Tia's story was an isolated one.

It is not. There have been other women in this situation in my life since then. My tears flow. My heart breaks. My blood boils. Every...single...time.

I am currently a "friend who stands by" in two situations. One where the pastors and elders have acted with compassion and protection (and this happens to be my church). The other is where the pastors have acted like condescending jerks. I want to scream every time I read a letter from them reprimanding my lovely mentor and friend. 

I stand with the women who are abused.

Read the book.
Please stand with them too. 




No comments:

Sailing Alone Around the Room (1000 Books to Read)

Some of these poems made me laugh out loud! Most were delightful. Poems are not meant to be overanalyzed and just enjoyed.  These are the on...