Saturday, August 17, 2024

Freewrite Fifteen: Touch Grass



Copyright Carol Ann Weaver 

The good news is my Apple Watch has its timer back. I accidentally deleted it a couple of years ago, and I could not get it back. It must have been a glitch. Recently, it reappeared as an option to download.

We are in Government Camp, Oregon at the base of the majestic Mount Hood. A part of me just did not want to go on another vacation after spending 15 days in the Great Lakes, but we wanted a vacation with our fantastic adult children. So, originally, George scheduled two weeks later and 7 hours away. I said, "NOOOO!" Especially since we were going in that same direction at the end of September for John and Katherines and the OMS North American Retreat. 

We were going to go to Southern Oregon, but the wildfires made air quality unhealthy. So, we got the idea of Mt. Hood - 3 hours max in the car to Government Camp. I was pretty stressed still about lot of things, and I felt like I didn't want to go. I had a little mini-breakdown with the family in the car. (We missed a turn-off to a trail, and I just was already very raw from many things, and I just lost it.) Normally, something like that wouldn't bother me, but it did, and I just wanted to crawl in a hole and go back to the condo we rented. But George said, "You need to touch grass." That is a British saying I guess. He was right. After everyone giving me a hug we went to Mirror Lake. Then later that day we hiked around Trillium Lake. The next day was cold and a bit rainy. So, we went to the Museum and ate at the Ratskeller and did a short trail to Little Zig Zag falls when the weather began to clear. That morning, I spent a lot of time journaling, and God clearly said, "Don't worry about tomorrow. Live today." So, I am not worrying anymore about all the people that I am involved with. All I need to do is live today. All the schedules will surely fall into place. I am convinced of it now. 

Yesterday was a hike up to the hut at the base of Mount Hood. Then we ate in the Cascade Dining Room at Timberline. Then we took a tour. Later on that day, we hiked a semi-flat trail to the Enid Lake Loop. It was lovely, and I am relaxed and happy. 

I realized that I work better independently, not having people dictate my life. So, I am holding the future with an open hand. I have the option of running two things independently and two things under the leadership of two different groups. So, I am still discerning the best course of action for that.

Regardless, I am living today. I am all packed up to go back home, but I am no longer going to stress about what is happening in the future. It is a good day TODAY. The sun is shining on us. 

I am also going back to more disciplined eating that I had between January 17th and July 1. I knew that these six to seven weeks would be vacation eating mode. 

So, I think it is 15 minutes. I will pack up this computer after this. I will also post some pictures of our hikes. 


No comments:

Sailing Alone Around the Room (1000 Books to Read)

Some of these poems made me laugh out loud! Most were delightful. Poems are not meant to be overanalyzed and just enjoyed.  These are the on...