Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Passion Questions

This morning, I had the wonderful privilege of being with the Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life (SEEL) Portland people via Zoom. I had asked to come up to Portland to here the reflection and spend time with God at the Jesuit Retreat Center since I missed it for Micah and Bri's wedding last year. So, I asked my spiritual director through the Exercises if I could come, and he said, "Yes!" Because of the Coronavirus, I didn't even need to travel to Portland. Paul had a lovely reflection on the Passion and his own personal story. LOVED IT. Now I am reflecting on the questions, and I will answer them here (unless they are super personal, but I haven't read them through to know if they are). 


The Passion
Reflection Questions:

Where are you in your relationship with Jesus?

I think we are on the road together and companions on the journey. He is with me every step of the way. I feel him so near, and God continues to answer that prayer I prayed in 1980 or 81 for a minute by minute relationship with him. I have not had a dry time with him. I have had hard times of pain and suffering, but he feels even nearer in those times. 

Are you ready to walk the passion with Jesus?

100%, but I don't welcome pain. It pains me to see others suffer, but I want to be with him as I remember his suffering for my sin. 

What part of the passion touches you most?

The fact that Jesus washed the feet of his betrayer. That is such love. As I was meditating on the feet washing yesterday, it hit me that it was like he was anointing our feet to go out into the world. Putting feet to the gospel. 


What one thing might Jesus have been thinking about or feeling that you can relate to? 

Being betrayed. That just cuts to my heart. I have been betrayed before, and it does not feel good. How he must have felt. Yet, he forgives as I have forgiven those who have betrayed and trespassed against me. 

What would the conversation about that be?

Jesus, teach me to love those who persecuted you. Judas sold you out for $600 in today's money. My heart breaks. You said to pray for those who persecute you and to love our enemies. What an example that you set for me. Everyone is hurt, but you say not to drink that poison of bitterness. I am so undone by your love.

Reflect on What Jesus saw from the cross.

His mother, his disciples, Roman soldiers. He died for all: Jew and Gentile. He is the one who unifies a divided world. He says, "Forgive them for they know not what they do?" The crucifiers, Peter who denied him, everyone. He forgives everyone from the cross and dies for their transgressions. 

What is he saying to you?

Forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give someone else. Let it go.

What does he want from you?

To die daily to my need to defend myself. To just forgive and move on. 

What is Jesus calling you to do as you walk the passion with him?

Be his feet to those struggling through this pandemic. 

Scripture related to the passion
Exodus 12:1-14
Exodus 24:1-11
Matt 36: 30 to57
Matt 27
John 18: 12-27
Mark 14:53-72
Luke 23
John 19




No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...