Tuesday, April 01, 2014

John 4:15-26 -- Worshiping in Spirit and In Truth

Colombel~christ-and-the-samaritan-woman
Nicolas Colombel [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
HIS WORDS


The woman said to Him, “Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw.” 

He said to her, “Go, call your husband and come here.” 

The woman answered and said, “I have no husband.”

Jesus said to her, “You have correctly said, ‘I have no husband’; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly.” 

The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped in this mountain, and you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.” 

Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers." 

"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” 

The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us.” 

Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.”

MY WORDS

The woman said to Him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I will not get thirsty and will never have to come back this long distance to this well again!" 

He said, "Go call your husband and then come back."

"I have no husband," she said.

"That is true that you said, 'I have no husband'; for you have had five, and the man you are living with now is not even your husband. You have spoken a true statement."

"Sir, I see and understand that you are a prophet [and not just a Jewish Rabbi]. Then tell me this: Our ancestors worshiped God at this mountain [Mount Gerizim - Samaritan place of divinely ordered worship], whereas Jews say it is on the temple mount in Jerusalem.

"Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you Samaritans will worship the Father neither here at this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans do not know what you are worshiping. We do know what we are worshiping because, after all, salvation comes from among the Jews.  A time is coming -- it has, in fact, come -- when what you are called [Samaritan or Jew] or where you worship will not matter, but genuine worshipers will worship the Father, engaging their spirit in the pursuit of truth. That's the kind of people the Father is looking out for: those who are genuine and just themselves before him in their worship." 

"God is a spiritual Being and not confined to a specific location (like the Temple Mount or Mount Gerizim) and those who worship Him must worship Him in keeping with God's nature; which is spirit; and truth (and that Truth has come)."

The woman said, "I do not know about that. I do know that the Messiah is coming, who is called Christ. When He comes, we will get the whole story" (Samaritans rejected the Pentateuch so they knew little about Him and thought He was mainly a teacher).

Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you right now AM ("He" is added for understanding but it refers to I AM in Exodus 3:14).

I WILL

Worship Him in spirit and truth this morning as I take my praise walk. Thank you Jesus for making a way for me. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...