Friday, March 08, 2013

From My Study of 1 Corinthians 9 Yesterday

Well-Tune Strength of Body

I love it when my two "Well" things collide. Yesterday, I realized my post from 1 Corinthians 9 was not adequate to repost for this new cycle of the Bible Book Club. So, I spent in-depth time in 1 Corinthians 9 (but eventually got to my goal of finishing 1 Corinthians 11 too!).  I am so wanting to combine all this "balanced life" stuff because of all the things I am clicking in on with this weight-loss and strength journey. 

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:24-27, NASB95)
Warren Wiersbe comments:

In recent years, evangelical Christians have rediscovered the importance of personal discipline and the relationship between a disciplined body and a Spirit-filled life. We must, of course, avoid extremes. On the one hand, religious asceticism is unhealthy and of no value spiritually (Col. 2:18–23). But on the other hand, there is something to be said for disciplined eating, exercising, and resting, and a Spirit-directed balanced life. We smugly congratulate ourselves that we do not smoke or use alcohol, but what about our overeating and overweight? And many Christians cannot discipline their time so as to have a consistent devotional life or Bible-study program.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1996, c1989). The Bible exposition commentary. "An exposition of the New Testament comprising the entire 'BE' series"--Jkt. (1 Co 9:15). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...