Sunday, May 06, 2012

52 in 52 Week 19: Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath by Mimi Alford

A new book, "Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath," by Mimi Beardsley Alford is displayed at Barnes & Noble bookstore on February 8, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. Mimi Beardsley, now Mimi Alford, a 69-year-old grandmother and retired church administrator, chronicles her 18-month affair with President John F. Kennedy when she was a 19-year old intern at the White House. She claims the affair started in 1962 and ended when he was assassinated in 1963.I listened to the audiobook read by Susan Denaker (6 hours, 28 minutes). Kennedy was beyond the label of "womanizer" and by this book can be put in the classification of sinister sexual predator. 


DISGUSTING!  I have no respect for the man. Not one inch of respect. He is no hero and was a horrible president just because he was a VERY immoral, sexually deviant man. The blind, women's rights feminists who slam Alford are also immoral. Their left-leaning political persuasion should not blind them to the truth of this book by slamming on Alford. I see her as a victim even though Alford does not see herself as one. 

There were times when I thought, "What an idiot!"  But then I remember I, too, was naive at 19 years old. There is so much you don't know about life, and if your circumstances put you in the wake of a predator, it is hard to be rational, especially since you haven't been warned about them. I had a similar predator at that age that sucked me into their web. Didn't know what hit me.


Just at the time I was thinking, "Where were her parents?" She said that they just weren't that involved with her at that stage of her life. As a mother of a 20 year old, that is hard for me to fathom, but those were different times. My parents weren't involved very much in my life either. We are much closer to our kids.

Yes, she was too naive, and she made a choice to continue in the affair.  She does not see herself as a victim, but I believe she was. She is too gracious to this man. I wonder if she has dealt with anger toward him. She seems very passive by nature. 

So sad how it really did affect her whole life. 



I really did not care for this narrator. She sounded too plastic and fake. 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...