Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Rules for Love and Marriage

I am reading Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom in the chapter on marriage Morrie says, "There are a few rules I know to be true about love and marriage:

If you don't respect the other person,

you're gonna have a lot of trouble.

If you don't know how to compromise,

you're gonna have a lot of trouble.

If you can't talk openly about what goes on between you,

you're gonna have a lot of trouble.

If you don't have a common set of values in life,

you're gonna have a lot of trouble.

I have two reactions to these quotes

1) Praise God that George and I have all four of these things going for us! I respect the socks off of him. Such a man of integrity and compassion. He communicates respect for me in a million ways. We can always come to compromise and consensus. We can talk about anything, and we have never had times of "silence." Helps to both be extroverted feelers! Last but not least, we had the same life goals and values about God, money, family, etc before we even met each other. Thankful this morning.

2) All four of these were not present in my most recent "ministry marriage." So, why didn't I realize there was going to be a hunk of trouble?

Food for thought.

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...