Saturday, August 25, 2018

30. Sacred Companions by Benner


After reading this book, I realize that I have been doing Spiritual Direction for most of my adult life without even realizing it. I always called it encouraging or even shepherding, but according to his definition, I have been doing direction. I have never been one to say "I am the authority" and that is how he delineates shepherding from direction. I like people to hear God and follow His authority so I guess I have been doing direction. I have done discipling where I follow a set curriculum, but even then, must of what I do it just listen and direct them to God. 

This is a good basic starting book, and it was very sweet to read in my outdoor office this late summer. It encouraged my soul quite a bit. It is the first book in the spiritual direction school I hope to enter as soon as enough people from Portland apply. (Oh Lord, make it so.)  I am hoping that will be some time in the next year. 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...