Monday, March 31, 2014

John 4 -- Samaritan Woman and Living Water

Jacob's Well 1839
Jacob's Well by David Roberts [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
HIS WORDS


So He came to a city of Samaria called Sychar, near the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph; and Jacob’s well was there. So Jesus, being wearied from His journey, was sitting thus by the well. It was about the sixth hour. There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give Me a drink.” For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. Therefore the Samaritan woman said to Him, “How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” She said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? “You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?” Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

MY WORDS 

So He came to the city of Samaria called Sychar, near the land that Jacob gave to his son, Joseph and also where Jacob's well is. Jesus was weary from His journey and was sitting by the well at noon. Then, a woman from Samaria came to to draw water from the well, and Jesus said, "Would you give me a drink of water?" (His disciples had gone to the village to get food for lunch.) The Samaritan woman taken aback and asked, "How come you, a Jew, are asking me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?" (Jews at that time had no contact with Samaritans.)

Jesus answer and said, "If you knew God's great generosity and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I wold give you fresh, living water." 

The woman said, "Sir, you don't even have a bucket to draw with, and this well is very deep. So how are you going to get this so called 'living water'? Are you better than our ancestor Jacob, who dug this well and drank from it, he and his sons and livestock, and passed it down to us?"


Jesus said "Everyone who drinks this water will eventually get thirsty again, but anyone who drinks the water I give will NEVER thirst again. The water I give will be become of spring of water flowing and bubbling continually within for eternal life. 


The woman said to Him, “Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw.” 

He said to her, “Go, call your husband and come here.” 

The woman answered and said, “I have no husband.”

Jesus said to her, “You have correctly said, ‘I have no husband’; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly.” 

The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped in this mountain, and you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.” 

Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers." 

"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” 

The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us.” 

Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.”

The woman said to Him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I will not get thirsty and will never have to come back this long distance to this well again!" 

He said, "Go call your husband and then come back."

"I have no husband," she said.

"That is true that you said, 'I have no husband'; for you have had five, and the man you are living with now is not even your husband. You have spoken a true statement."

"Sir, I see and understand that you are a prophet [and not just a Jewish Rabbi]. Then tell me this: Our ancestors worshiped God at this mountain [Mount Gerizim - Samaritan place of divinely ordered worship], whereas Jews say it is on the temple mount in Jerusalem.

"Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you Samaritans will worship the Father neither here at this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans do not know what you are worshiping. We do know what we are worshiping because, after all, salvation comes from among the Jews.  A time is coming -- it has, in fact, come -- when what you are called [Samaritan or Jew] or where you worship will not matter, but genuine worshipers will worship the Father, engaging their spirit in the pursuit of truth. That's the kind of people the Father is looking out for: those who are genuine and just themselves before him in their worship." 

"God is a spiritual Being and not confined to a specific location (like the Temple Mount or Mount Gerizim) and those who worship Him must worship Him in keeping with God's nature; which is spirit; and truth (and that Truth has come)."

The woman said, "I do not know about that. I do know that the Messiah is coming, who is called Christ. When He comes, we will get the whole story" (Samaritans rejected the Pentateuch so they knew little about Him and thought He was mainly a teacher).

Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you right now AM ("He" is added for understanding but it refers to I AM in Exodus 3:14).


I WILL 

Pray people from our Sunday afternoon gathering will operate from the GIFT (thinking of Sarah Gayle's talk on joy) of living water that is already inside of them! 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...