Skip to main content

How Many of the 100 Have I Read? 48


THE BOOK OF GREAT BOOKS 100

  1. Aeneid – Virgil
  2. All Quiet on the Western Front – Remarque
  3. All the King’s Men – Warren
  4. Animal Farm – Orwell 
  5. As I Lay Dying – Faulkner YES
  6. As You Like It – Shakespeare YES
  7. The Awakening – Chopin
  8. Beowulf YES
  9. Bill Budd – Melville
  10. The Bluest Eyes – Morrison 
  11. Brave New World – Huxley
  12. The Call of the Wild – London
  13. Candide – Voltaire
  14. The Canterbury Tales – Chaucer YES
  15. Catch22 – Heller
  16. The Color Purple – Walker
  17. Crime and Punishment – Dostoyevsky YES
  18. The Crucible – Miller
  19. Daisy Miller – James
  20. David Copperfield – Dickens
  21. Death of a Salesman – Miller YES
  22. Diary of a Young Girl – Frank
  23. Inferno – Dante YES
  24. Doctor Faustus – Marlowe YES
  25. A Doll’s House – Ibsen YES
  26. Don Quixote – Cervantes YES
  27. Ethan Frome – Wharton
  28. Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo – Plato
  29. A Farewell to Arms – Hemingway
  30. Faust: Parts 1 and 2 – Goethe
  31. For Whom the Bell Tolls – Hemingway
  32. Frankenstein – Shelly  YES
  33. The Glass Menagerie – Williams
  34. The Good Earth – Buck YES
  35. The Grapes of Wrath – Steinbeck YES
  36. Great Expectations – Dickens YES
  37. The Great Gatsby – Fitzgerald YES
  38. Gulliver’s Travels – Swift YES
  39. Hamlet – Shakespeare YES
  40. Hard Times – Dickens
  41. Heart of Darkness – Conrad YES
  42. Henry IV, Part 1 – Shakespeare
  43. House Made of Dawn – Momaday
  44. The House of Seven Gables – Hawthorne YES
  45. Huckleberry Finn – Twain YES
  46. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings – Angelou
  47. Iliad – Homer YES
  48. Invisible Man – Ellison YES
  49. Jane Eyre – Bronte YES
  50. The Joy Luck Club – Tan
  51. Julius Caesar – Shakespeare
  52. The Jungle – Sinclair
  53. King Lear – Shakespeare
  54. Light in August – Faulkner
  55. Lord Jim – Conrad
  56. The Lord of the Flies – Golding
  57. The Lord of the Rings – Tolkien YES
  58. Macbeth – Shakespeare
  59. Madame Bovary – Flaubert YES
  60. The Major of Casterbridge – Hardy
  61. The Merchant of Venice – Shakespeare
  62. A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Shakespeare YES
  63. Moby-Dick – Melville YES
  64. Native Son – Wright YES
  65. 1984 – Orwell YES
  66. Odyssey – Homer YES
  67. The Oedipus Trilogy – Sophocles YES
  68. Of Mice and Men – Steinbeck
  69. The Old Man and the Sea – Hemingway
  70. Oliver Twist – Dickens YES
  71. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Kesey
  72. Othello – Shakespeare
  73. Paradise Lost – Milton YES
  74. The Pearl – Steinbeck
  75. The Plague – Camus
  76. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man – Joyce YES
  77. Pride and Prejudice – Austen YES
  78. The Prince – Machiavelli YES
  79. The Red Badge of Courage – Crane YES
  80. Republic – Plato YES
  81. The Return of the Native – Hardy YES
  82. Richard III – Shakespeare YES
  83. Romeo and Juliet – Shakespeare
  84. The Scarlet Letter – Hawthorne YES
  85. A Separate Peace – Knowles
  86. Silas Marner – Eliot YES
  87. Sons and Lovers – Lawrence
  88. The Sound and the Fury – Faulkner YES
  89. Steppenwolf – Hesse
  90. The Stranger – Camus YES
  91. The Sun Also Rises – Hemingway
  92. The Taming of the Shrew – Shakespeare
  93. The Tempest – Shakespeare
  94. Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Hardy
  95. Their Eyes Were Watching God – Hurston 
  96. Tom Sawyer – Twain
  97. Treasure Island – Stevenson YES
  98. Twelfth Night – Shakespeare YES
  99. Waiting for Godot – Beckett YES
  100. Walden – Thoreau YES
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snapfish versus Shutterfly

I dealt with both this week. So, while it is fresh in my mind, I am doing a comparison for ordering prints. Wish I could do it in table form, but I am simply not savvy enough or maybe I am just lazy.

Shutterfly

PROS

1) CUSTOM CROPS - I have gone all over the Internet looking for people who say this is an advantage. To me, that is huge if I have cropped a photo with an other than 4x6 size in my photo editing software and then I try to print them. BOTH Snapfish and Shutterfly print these photos with cut off heads and portions gone and both don't seem to have a mechanism for telling me that the whole image isn't going to be in the print. (Also, both tend to cut off heads and such for prints from my point and shoot too. I think it is because it is from a different aspect ratio). 

BOTH need to notify you to say that things are not going to fit in the frame, but Shutterfly gives you something to do about it with their custom crop tool! I also LOVE that you can make a custom border aroun…

8. Prayer: The Mightiest Force in the World by Frank C. Laubach

In keeping with my prayer emphasis for 2014, here is another gem of a book on prayer written by the same person who wrote The Game with Minutes that I reviewed in January, Frank Laubach. 

It was such a challenge to caste my prayer for world leaders (which was one of my applications from the Prayer Challenge that I am doing from Super Bowl Sunday to Easter). I had a half day in prayer last Friday; and because of this book's reminders, I prayed for the president of Ukraine to step down. Within hours, he fled the country. Now I have to really get on my knees for Putin because he might mess the whole thing up by sending military there. Oh my.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I am cutting and pasting one person's reflections and quotes from the book:


One of Laubach's most important suggestions in this terrific little book is that we pray during the "chinks" that happen in all of our schedules: while stuck in traffic, doing mindless chores, standing in lines, and so on. …

1. The Game with Minutes by Frank C. Laubach

This is really more a short essay, but it is profound and important. It is one of the best things I have ever read and applying it will change your life. 

This is a reread for me as I have paired it with my reading of Letters by a Modern Mysticby Laubach in the past, but it is good all on its own, and we have our Kingdom training groups read it every time we do this curriculum, and people usually really like it! We pair it with reading The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence which I have read on a regular basis over the last 35 years. Laubach was like a modern day Brother Lawrence, but practicing God's presence in the midst of real life rather than in a monastery. 

Here is a PDF download:  of "The Game with Minutes"
(the link I had before was not the whole thing)

Here is also a PDF of Letters by a Modern Mystic:

http://www.dunedin.elim.org.nz/uploads/1/2/7/8/12786940/frank_laubach_-_letters_by_a_modern_mystic.pdf

Here is a helpful summary of it by Dallas Willar…