Wednesday, August 14, 2019

76. Beloved by Toni Morrison


How appropriate that I would have this book on hold for six weeks, and it would become available to me on the week of her passing. 


She writes beautifully about very difficult subjects. This is not an easy book to read. There were times where she was so ethereal that I was not quite sure what was happening or who was saying or doing something. It is a book of many flashbacks, and I know my Book Babes Book Club members would hate that (they have a low tolerance for a difficult read and out of their comfort zone). I don't mind flashbacks, but I did finally make it easier on myself by looking up chapter summaries on a website to make sure that I "got" what she was trying to say. Most of the time I did get it, but I wanted to make sure.

There were times where I wept (and was very mad at the white race). Morrison does a good job of putting you in the shoes of whoever the narrator is at that point (point of view shifts all over the place). I can see why it won all sorts of awards. I can also see why people would not like it too. 

All in all, I am glad that I listened to it. (And the author narrating it was amazing. She has a seductive, yet haunting style that pulls you in.)

I have to say that I was GRIPPED after I got over the initial confusion about what was going on because of all the flashbacks. It is sort of like Shakespeare. You have an initial panic that you will NOT get it, but if you sit back, relax, and let the book come to you, you get it. I wanted to keep on reading because there were so many questions in my mind. Sixty percent of the way through, you get a bigger pictures, and it is heartbreaking. Some might not like the sadness of it all though.  I did not mind. 

This book is on almost every "must read" list. Surprisingly, it was not on the Well-Educated Mind list, but I think she puts more conservative books on there. So she chose Song of Solomon by Morrison instead. I remember I liked that, but I did not like The Bluest Eyes that was on the One Hundred Books list. 

Now I have the Oprah Winfrey movie on hold. It BOMBED at the box office. I am afraid to watch it because I cannot think how they would portray one of the scenes! I will watch it with fear and trembling and will be willing to turn it off at any time. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...