Tuesday, January 21, 2014

4. David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and The Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell

I remember all my thinking friends discussing Gladwell's book, Blink, and thinking it probably would not be something I would be interested in reading. I never would have read him had my book club not picked to read Outliers: The Story of Success.  I started it reluctantly and quickly became a Gladwell fan. That book altered the way I looked at life. So, when this book came out and was recommended by my bookish sister, Adriana, I had to read it. Gladwell has done it again! I especially loved how he analyzed the long term success rate of going to an elite university if you are not at the top of your class versus going to an average school and being at the top of your class because the pool isn't as competitive. Fascinating! I highly recommend this book, and I loved listening to the author read his own book. I think I am convinced I need to go back and read Blink!

Also, here is an interview he did at Google explaining the book and his motive behind his provocative books. I loved this quote regarding what he wants his books to do:


“You’re not looking for converts. 
You want people to start conversations.”  
Malcolm Gladwell




If you do not have time to watch this, you can watch this 12 minute interview on 60 Minutes: 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday

I know I put this quote at the beginning of my last Freewrite, but I put it in "Quote Fancy," and I like this picture that I could...