Wednesday, March 05, 2008

On Death and Dying

I haven't posted here for a while. So, I thought I would. Learned some tough things this morning: A homeschool mom died last night, another homeschool mom's liver is failing, and their family is, in their own words, "circling the wagons," my friend's dad is dying of lung cancer, our friend Bruce is dying and has weeks to live, and another friend from my old church is suffering from cancer and dying. On top of all of this, the three month anniversary of my mom's death is on Friday.

I am not one to question God's sovereignty. I don't feel any need to do so. It isn't because I am pollyanna about it. It isn't because I am super spiritual either. It is part of my genetics to look at life with a "What is, is" attitude (For your Myers-Briggs people, I am a very STRONG "S"). Suffering happens. Poo-Poo Occurs. People die. The reality is that none of us get out of here alive. I am just in a position this morning of asking God what He is teaching me through all of this when it seems like it is all coming in a big wave of a morning. I don't say this "What is, is" with any bit of coldness or callousness either. I feel these people and their pain. I want to DO something to help them! But what?

Interesting that the message I heard from the LORD this morning was to let everything that I do be done in LOVE today. This is a message for every day, but this is what I was reminded of as my life's calling and direction: a life of love.

So, how can I love today those people who are in such pain? That is what I am pondering and will continue to ponder throughout the rest of the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carol, I have been pondering similar things lately. A "young" mom, mid to late forties, died Monday morning after an intense 18 month battle with ALS. She has two boys, one in high school, the other in Lance's 8th grade math class. I never really knew her. I met her only once, when I took a meal to the family. Her mother (Ellie) moved here from IN to help care for her and the boys while husband/dad continued to work and provide. Ellie found her own place of respite at our church. When I met the young mom, she couldn't walk or talk, could barely breathe or eat on her own. But she could smile...and what a beautiful smile she had. Her face lit up! She couldn't "practically" love her family or husband anymore...she couldn't perform acts of love and caring. She could only receive love. But, according to her mother, she did live her life well, loving well.
After listening to Bruce's words from the other night, I'm contemplating carefully how I am loving others. Death does seem to become more prominent the older I get. I know so many who are are battling terminal illnesses. We lost 5 saints from our church last year. My dad passed away nearly 8 years ago. Yet, his parents, my grandparents, are still living and healthy at 94 and 98 years old. I could very well live another 40 years. How will I live and love for those many years I may still have? How will my loving others reflect God's love and His glory? Who are the ones around me that may not be dying a physical death imminently, but are slowly dying a spiritual death? Am I loving them enough to tell them about the One who can give them Life?
Many things to think about and pray through carefully...it does begin to put things in perspective though.
God's sovereignty can be clearly seen, even if not clearly understood. The longer I live, the more I see that. You know, the rain falls on the just and the unjust, the young and the old. We are called to trust and obey. Trust God and obey Him with those great commands to love Him and our neighbor. What a narrow and difficult road we walk.
Thanks for sharing your heart, and allowing a little corner of your blog for me to share mine.
Lisa P.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, Lisa!

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...