Saturday, April 16, 2016

13. Pray for the World


It is my first absolutely free Saturday in a long time, and my first thought when I woke up was, "I get to pray for another country in Pray for the World this morning!" That should give you an indication of how much I love this little book. You see, I have been praying for the world for a long time. When Ron York of the Navigators at a conference in 1979, challenged us to pray everyday for the world, I thought, "This guy is crazy." But I stood up and committed myself to it. Most of my prayer consisted of praying for my friends already out in the world. I also had this great Asia book about what was happening there. 

2nd Edition 
Then, in probably 1983, while sitting in a chair in the living room of Randy and Mary Law, I spied the book, Operation World on their shelf (a picture of that 2nd edition is pictured here). I borrowed it and devoured it! It is a comprehensive overview of everything that is going on in the world. It has had seven editions all together (all but one is pictured below. I am not sure there are ANY copies of the first edition!), and I have devoured each one. 

Last year, Pray for the World came out, and it is a concise summary of key prayer points for each country on earth from the Operation World researchers who asked Christian leaders in every country, "How should the body of Christ throughout the world be praying for your country?" Readable. Concise. Doable. Brilliant! 

 I still use Operation World as a reference book (and I have recommended it to students who have had to do reports on difference countries - so helpful!), but I am praying through this one on a daily basis! 

Just a little note, I pray through the current book, and I marvel at the FRUIT of 30+ years of global prayer! I am so thankful for Patrick Johnstone and his vision for praying for the world in an informed way!  God is on the move, and prayer is His gift to us so that we can share in the joy of the harvest. Intercession is God's design, and it leads to greater intimacy with Him. Go for it! Operation World can be overwhelming, but Pray for the World is doable!  

1993 Edition, I think this was the 5th Edition
(also had a kids edition that my kids and I prayed through!)
Below are different editions of the "parent" book for Pray for the World. So grateful for the people who labored to get these published. 

4th Edition 
The middle one is the only image I could find of this edition. I think it is the 3rd Edition
2010, 7th Edition 

2001, 6th Edition 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...