Friday, September 08, 2023

Friday Freewrite - The Road Less Traveled

So Glad the Road Led Me to St. Mary's of the Lake and 2HC Retreat


I am in a good place. The summer was so wonderful. Other than a little hiccup with a friend (that friend had no idea what their actions were doing to me internally, and I didn't see the need to bring it up because it was something I needed to work through, and I managed to work it through in an Immanuel Journaling Session with the Lord - so that desolation turned into a consolation of big proportion), I have such lovely memories of my summer: the LifeWorks Class and small group, time with our community group, my friend coming to "surrender to the lover of her soul," fulfilling time with Deepen III spiritual directors, lovely times with directees, deep deck talks with others, family time, especially in the North Cascades, fun finish of the Corvallis to Sea trail and all my photos. And the Chicago Cherry on top with the 2nd Half Collaborative and the lovely face-to-face cohort and team I worked with. I came back to rich times with all my directees. I have such a good group of soul friends to explore deeper rhythms of grace with. Oh and the OMS times of prayer this week. The new group of leaders that I adore. Fishing with John and Josh (my God-Children) and Katherine and also kayaking on the Willamette with George and his coworker. 

I love everything that I am doing. I love the gift of grace I have been extended every day. Life is a gift. I am so grateful. 

So, I had this interaction with someone yesterday that was counter to the flow of relationships that I have had. There was a weirdness that was unsettling. SO counter to the conversation I had with someone just an hour before - encouraging and edifying.

It leads me to pray for that person and not to be so sad about feeling a cold shoulder. In my Immanuel Journaling, I sensed that it was not about me, and I was able to let it go, but I am glad I chose another road.

There are always pockets of even Christian culture that are still difficult for me to enter into. This is one I could have walked into three years ago, but a retreat I went on with them was so weird. So unsettling. I had that same feeling again yesterday.

I decided to take another road, the "road less traveled" - it was entry into the OMS a month later and the lovely people I have been involved with because of that. (And Deepen and Renovare Book Club and 2HC and Authentic Spiritual "Seed Community" and the whole LifeModel Works way).  This person still is in that other culture, and I think my sense was right. I trust my discernment on that one. I pray for an activation of JOY in that person's heart. 

I am 34 seconds to go, and it was good to get that out. 

The Road Not Taken 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Tuesday Freewrite Fifteen

I am just sitting here after my Centering Prayer for the House of Prayer in East London. I have not been with that group for SO LONG! I just...