Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Visio Divina

 

https://www.pitts.emory.edu/woodcuts/1700MartAV1/00028914.jpg
Engraving by Otto Elliger

Today, we had Lectio Divina in Elisha and the Widow's oil from 2 Kings 4. Now, I am doing a Visio Divina from this engraving. 

Whenever I have visualized this in the past, I have thought of little glass jars from all over. I was not thinking of those big jars that were probably from that time period. 

(Sorry about the exposure of her breasts in the picture above. Maybe the product of the art of Otto Elliger's time.)


She gathers the jars, and she trusts. Elisha has to trust too. It was so perfect for me this morning as I had just reviewed the messages back and forth between an Afghan friend and me. I had asked a similar question that Elisha asked, "What can I do to help you? On August 2, I said, "We would love to help in any way we can." I had expressed concern on July 9th. I should have been more forceful that he NOT go back into the country (He was in a neighboring country) and get his wife out. I don't think they were getting the news we were getting.

Anyway, Elisha did not intervene in what God was doing. He did not "make it happen" for her by providing her with the money to pay her debts. He just had her sons go and ask the neighbors for empty jars. 

God did provide the funds for them to get out, and I want to trust that he will make a way to get a refund for the plane tickets for his friends who changed their minds about going out of the country. 

I will trust God to provide for their every need. 

Elisha trusted and encouraged faith in the people he led. 

On another note. I have a new directee. My love for doing direction with cross-cultural workers all over the world is coming true. I am praying that these podcasts we are doing will encourage more of them to seek out direction as part of their growth. 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday

I know I put this quote at the beginning of my last Freewrite, but I put it in "Quote Fancy," and I like this picture that I could...