Sunday, August 19, 2012

52 in 52 Week 34: The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

What a hauntingly beautiful play of family dysfunction. The whole time I was reading it I thought, "Sam Waterston would have been a perfect Tom in the movie version." Then, I get the movie, and he is Tom! I really and truly did not know it.


This is about a family that was abandoned by a father many years ago, and the long-term toll it takes on the ones left behind. I felt empathy for the mom and her desire to see her kids settled in life, but I do not agree with the methods she uses in trying to see it come about. 


Loved it even though it is sad. And Hepburn also nails Amanda. 


This book so reminded me of the dysfunction of Long Day's Journey into Night, and Katharine played the dysfunctional mother in that movie too!


1 comment:

Ally said...

Great review, this is a book I have been hoping to read for a while now.
Will have to get hold of it!

Ally

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...