Saturday, March 12, 2011

Eight More TWEM Books!!!

MODERN (1850 – present)
1860 Civilization of Renaissance Burckhardt 
1904 Protestant Work Ethic & Spirit of Capitalism Weber 
1938 The New England Mind Miller 
1973 The Gulag Archipelago (only Autobiography left)
1974 Roll, Jordan, Roll Genovese 
1987 All the President's Men Woodward & Bernstein 
1990 A Midwife's Tale Ballard
1992 The End of History & the Last Man Fukuyama 

I decided to read All the President's Men because it is nice to read history that I was a part of for a change. All the other books are about things past. (Except maybe The End of History and the Last Man. I don't know what that is about, and I want to read that one last: last man/last book.) I'm already hooked and I am only about 60 pages into it! The fact that I can remember it all is exciting for me! I remember the day Nixon resigned! I even wrote it in my journal that night. History making really.
I read Born Again by Chuck Colson in the autobiography section a while ago though. So, I wish I could have read them together, but that was back when I was trying to complete genre. I definitely recommend reading these books chronologically though. I did that in some cases (Pilgrim's Progress with Bunyan's autobiography for example), but I didn't think to do it for All the President's Men! I think it was when I was just blitzing one autobiography after another. Somehow I remember Colson not admitting that he had really done anything wrong other than had some bad judgment in some cases. I might be wrong on that point though. This book paints quite a sordid picture of Colson as the "hatchet man" of Nixon. Stay tuned. I think I am going to fly through this one, but I don't have it on Kindle. So, it is hard for me to read it while I am running because I can't make the print bigger. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...