Friday, May 28, 2010

Christina Rossetti

My friend, Kim, told me I would love Rossetti, and I certainly do so far!


A BETTER RESURRECTION
by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)
       HAVE no wit, no words, no tears;
      My heart within me like a stone
      Is numb'd too much for hopes or fears;
      Look right, look left, I dwell alone;
      I lift mine eyes, but dimm'd with grief
      No everlasting hills I see;
      My life is in the falling leaf:
      O Jesus, quicken me.
       
      My life is like a faded leaf,
      My harvest dwindled to a husk:
      Truly my life is void and brief
      And tedious in the barren dusk;
      My life is like a frozen thing,
      No bud nor greenness can I see:
      Yet rise it shall--the sap of Spring;
      O Jesus, rise in me.
       
      My life is like a broken bowl,
      A broken bowl that cannot hold
      One drop of water for my soul
      Or cordial in the searching cold;
      Cast in the fire the perish'd thing;
      Melt and remould it, till it be
      A royal cup for Him, my King:
      O Jesus, drink of me.

"A Better Resurrection" is reprinted from Goblin Market and other Poems. Christina Rossetti. Cambridge: Macmillan, 1862.



A BIRTHDAY
by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)
      Y heart is like a singing bird
      Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
      My heart is like an apple-tree
      Whose boughs are bent with thick-set fruit;
      My heart is like a rainbow shell
      That paddles in a halcyon sea;
      My heart is gladder than all these,
      Because my love is come to me.
       
      Raise me a daïs of silk and down;
      Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
      Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
      And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
      Work it in gold and silver grapes,
      In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
      Because the birthday of my life
      Is come, my love is come to me.



"A Birthday" is reprinted from Macmillan's Magazine (April 1861).

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...