Saturday, July 01, 2023

Diary of a Provincial Lady




This was a delightful break from the more sober books I have been reading from the 1000 Books list! LOL!

The narrator on this is excellent, and I am glad I don't live in that time anymore! 

Here is why James Mustich thinks it should be one of the 1000 Books You Read Before You Die:

E. M. Delafield’s Provincial Lady first appeared in 1930. Her first Diary would be followed by three more in the course of the next decade. These charming volumes proved immediately and enduringly popular, and Delafield’s creation is today seen, in her deceptively casual chronicling of her domestic activities, as a style-setter for later writers who deployed aspects of her mode of self-address in both journalism and fiction. Readers seeking astute yet gentle social satire at its British best will be richly rewarded by acquaintance with Delafield’s wonderful Provincial Lady.
 


No comments:

Tuesday Freewrite Fifteen

I am just sitting here after my Centering Prayer for the House of Prayer in East London. I have not been with that group for SO LONG! I just...