Wednesday, October 07, 2020

43. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman



I found this book to be so interesting and challenging. It is about Hmong refugees in the central Californian town of Merced. It specifically focuses on a family who has a child with epilepsy and their cross-cultural clashes with the medical community. It is a fascinating read. I also appreciated her dive into the history of the Hmong, and how they came to be refugees in the United States. 

Here is an interesting article about more recent happenings with this family: 

https://dcarboneutica.weebly.com/the-spirit-catches-you-and-you-fall-down.html 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

I had to set my Alexa timer twice because she heard me say 50 minutes instead of 15. So, here I go. I know I have not been doing as many fre...