Tuesday, January 20, 2009

If They Had Lived to See This Day

"In order to be successful in any kind of undertaking, I think the main thing is for one to grow to the point where he completely forgets himself; that is, to lose himself in a great cause. In proportion as one loses himself in this way, in the same degree does he get the highest happiness out of his work." - Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery



Slavery in America
It is in the Providence of God that I would be reading these books the week prior to the inauguration of the first black president of the United States of America. Could they have even dreamed of this day?

Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington both rose up out of slavery by hard work and industry and better the black man and woman. Their lives were inspiring.

My children and I watched a video from the Biography of America. You can register for free and watch the important video on "Slavery." I wept through most of the 26 minutes.

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...