Friday, August 18, 2023

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

This is going to be a fast fifteen freewrite. I used to do these so much more than I do now, but that is OK. I do love to get all the thoughts swirling around in my head.

Yesterday, I sat down with C for a stimulating conversation. Her husband is new on staff with our church, and I just love her. We have a lot in common, and it was just a fun and easy talk. Turns out she went to high school with one of my sorority sisters. Such a small world. 

C said, "I know you are just so busy."
I said, "Actually, no. I just have lots of different pieces but they all interact together."

For instance, this morning, I had someone post that they are looking for someone who does cross-cultural spiritual direction. I do it, but someone else suggested a certain person in the region where the person asking the question is. Well, that person suggested is in another one of my pots. So I am making the connection for the person asking. Those two pots are too separate "jobs" I have, but they interconnect. 

So my pots are right now:

1) 2nd Half Collaborative - that is most on my mind right now because I am going to the Midwest in a week to help facilitate a retreat. All the people I facilitate with are with one of the agencies in #4. 

2) Deepen III (and maybe Deepen II) - I supervise a group of new directors who are doing Cross-Cultural Direction. I am also going to give a talk on that to the Deepen III supervisors and new directors when I get back from #1.

3) Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius (scroll down) - I am going to lead two women through these starting in mid-September. I spent the last two days working out the liturgical year schedule. One woman is related to #4 and the other is related to #1. 

This video explains the Exercises:



4) International Agencies - I do spiritual direction with people from five different agencies that work internationally. I do extra work for one that I have been involved in for the last 29 years by creating help (videos and handouts mostly) in their intimacy with God and care of their soul. I do a lot of "spontaneous soul care" with the workers from this particular agency. 

I am big on the Cycle of Grace as a spine. 


And the Cycle of Grace relates to #1 above. I help the other ones in the same way as my materials are passed on to people in their agencies. :) 

5) Sustainable Faith School of Spiritual Direction - I am one of the Affiliates; and in October, I will start helping my spiritual direction trainers in their training of new directors. This relates to all but #2 because many of the people I am involved with in these different groups have also been trained by Sustainable Faith. But could there be a "wing" of Sustainable Faith that specializes in #2? Could they join forces? Could I be a bridge to seeing that happen? Stay tuned!!

6) Body and Soul Companion - I have a private ministry with individual directees. Some are related to the other four, and some are local leaders. I lead some of them through the Exercises. Most are associated with #4. Many are from other cultures and religious backgrounds. (Thus why I am being asked to speak on "Cross-Cultural Spiritual Direction" (and I am NO EXPERT). 

7) Local "Seed Community" - This started from something we did related to one of the agencies in  #4. We are considered the "pastors." (I don't think of myself this way though, but we have become that for signing off to send them out into the world.)

8) Order of the Mustard Seed - I co-lead a Centering Prayer time two times a week. I also occasionally lead Prayer Watches for the OMS. Many people in the OMS are being trained through Sustainable Faith, and I am thrilled. 

Later on Friday:

9) Renovare Book Club - I realized this in a discussion with my friend (2 1/2 hours and so fun). I forgot this pot. Such a good entry into all things Spiritual Formation. I am so grateful for Renovare, Richard Foster, and Dallas Willard!

No comments:

Tuesday Freewrite Fifteen

I am just sitting here after my Centering Prayer for the House of Prayer in East London. I have not been with that group for SO LONG! I just...