Sunday, June 25, 2023

Ficciones


This was SO HARD for me to get, but then I found the Course Hero videos:


There is one in each of the short stories! Hallelujah. (What is it with me and South American authors? I have the hardest time with them!)


I still think it was pretty stupid! But here is why James Mustich thinks it should be one of the 1000 Books You Read Before You Die:

Jul 28, 2018
Because Borges’s uncanny fables seldom resemble typical short stories, his works are frequently called “fictions”—which is precisely what Ficciones means. In addition to “Pierre Menard,” the volume includes sixteen pieces, including several masterpieces, such as “The Library of Babel,” “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius,” “The Garden of the Forking Paths,” and “Funes, the Memorious.” The latter is a brief, haunting memoir of a man who, after an accident, finds himself possessed by cripplingly acute mental powers. His “implacable memory” makes life literally unforgettable. That’s also the word for Borges’s intricate, erudite, playfully dream-weaving work.

No comments:

Tuesday Freewrite Fifteen

I am just sitting here after my Centering Prayer for the House of Prayer in East London. I have not been with that group for SO LONG! I just...