Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Summer Reading Goals Update

MOM'S WELL- EDUCATED MIND SUMMER READING LIST:

H=History, D=Drama, P=Poetry, A=Autobiography

H - Peloponnesian War by Thucydides (Done 7/2 - I will shout this from the rooftops!)
H - Plato's Republic (Done 7/22)

H - Plutarch's Lives (2 Volumes: Roman and Greek )
H - City of God by Augustine
H - Ecclesiastical History of the English People by Bede
D - Everyman (Done 6/19 - contrast with Dr. Faustus - loved this play!)
H - Prince by Machiavelli (Done 6/24 - Richard III blew it)
H - Utopia by Sir Thomas More
P - Sonnets of Shakespeare (Done 6/26)
A - Essays of Montaigne
A - Life of Teresa of Avila
D - Doctor Faustus by Marlowe (Done 6/21 - Heavy and great for discussion!)
D - Richard III by Shakespeare (Done 6/21 - Shakespeare ROCKS!)
D - Midsummer Nights Dream by Shakespeare (Done 6/24)
D- Hamlet by Shakespeare (Done 6/28)


Beyond Goals:

D - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Done June 29)
D - Tartuffe by Moliere (Done July 2)
D - A Doll's House (Done July 14)
D - The Cherry Orchard (Done July 14)

Amazing Grace: Stories of Newton, Wilberforce, and Equiano (audio)

2 comments:

Susanne Barrett said...

I just ordered Bede's Ecclesiastical History. Let me know when you start it and perhaps we can discuss it together as we go. :)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is one of my favorite plays; we read it with Hamlet my senior year. The kids and I play the Questions Game from time to time at the dinner table -- it's always fun!

Great list there, Carol! Congrats on getting so much accomplished!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Sure! Let's do that.

I really like R&G. It is out of order on my list, but I had to read it since Hamlet was so fresh in my mind. I thought it was very good!

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...