Monday, November 22, 2010

The Well-Educated Mind Update: 145/158 = 92%!

I have 13 more to go!!!!

AUTOBIOGRAPHY (all in the Modern Period)

1948 Seven Story Mountain Merton (Sept. 27, 2010)
1965 The Autobiography of + Malcolm X (November 15, 2010)
1973 Gulag Archipelago Solzhenitsyn (Nov)

HISTORY
EARLY MODERN (1600 – 1850)
1776 Decline & Fall Roman Empire Gibbon (Dec)
1835 Democracy in America Tocqueville (Jan)
MODERN (1850 – present)
1860 Civilization of Renaissance Burckhardt (Feb)
1904 Protestant Work Ethic/Spirit of Capitalism Weber (Mar)
1937 The Road to Wigan Pier Orwell (Apr)
1938 The New England Mind Miller (April/May)
1955 The Great Crash Galbraith (May)
1974 Roll, Jordan, Roll Genovese (June)
1978 Distant Mirror Tuchman (Aug)
1987 All the President's Men Woodward & Bernstein (July)
1990 A Midwife's Tale Ballard (July)
1992 The End of History & the Last Man Fukuyama (Sept)

4 comments:

Susanne Barrett said...

How did you like The Seven-Storey Mountain?

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I enjoyed it. It was nice to read it after Mein Kampf! What a contrast and breath of fresh air to read the life story of someone seeking hard after God after Hitler! He was obviously brilliant and could have made a name for himself in the secular world. Love his chosen life path. I would recommend it!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I should also say that I went from reading about a great Hindu (Ghandi) to a great Catholic (Merton) to a transformed Muslims (Malcolm X did start out great, but I believe the transformation he made in the last year of his life would have had a tremendous influence on race relations if he hadn't been murdered!). All three are excellent books!

Susanne Barrett said...

Thank you, Carol! :)

Freewrite Friday

I know I put this quote at the beginning of my last Freewrite, but I put it in "Quote Fancy," and I like this picture that I could...