Sunday, February 16, 2014

Acts 7:59-60 - Dying Prayer for Persecutors

HIS WORDS


They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!” Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them!” Having said this, he fell asleep. (NASB95)

MY WORDS

Since blasphemy was punishable by death according to Jewish Law, the Sanhedrin stoned Stephen. As he was being stoned, he cried out to the Lord, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" Then he fell on his knees, and cried out loudly, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" Having said this, he died. 

MY STUDY



In 1948, Auca martyr Jim Elliot wrote in his journal, “I seek not a long life, but a full one, like You, Lord Jesus.” Two years later, he wrote: “I must not think it strange if God takes in youth those whom I would have kept on earth till they were older. God is peopling Eternity, and I must not restrict Him to old men and women.”
Like Stephen, Jim Elliot and his four comrades were called on January 8, 1956, to “people Eternity” as they were slain by the people they were seeking to reach. What has happened to the Aucas since then is proof that the blood of the martyrs is indeed the seed of the church. Many Aucas are now Christians.
(Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Ac 7:54–60). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.)
I got the picture from the article, "Steve Jobs, Jim Elliot, and Legacies." It is a beautiful article, and I highly recommend it. 

I WILL

Give my all to see eternity peopled! I will present my body as a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to You to do what you would have me do today. I am available Lord. 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...