From Wikipedia:
The Nightingale (2015) is a historical fiction novel by American author Kristin Hannah published by St. Martin's Press. The book tells the story of two sisters in France during World War II and their struggle to survive and resist the German occupation there.
The book was inspired by accounts of a Belgian woman, Andrée de Jongh, who helped downed Allied pilots escape Nazi territory.[1][2]
The Nightingale entered multiple bestseller lists upon release. As of 2021, it has been published in 45 languages and sold more than 4.5 million copies worldwide.[3][4]
I know this is the "IT" book of 2015, but I was not grabbed until halfway through the book! I had to force myself to read it. I had some middle of the night awakenings on my camping trip (very cold and had to get up to go to the bathroom each night at 1:30-2:00 causing me to be wide awake until 4am). So I forced myself to read it.
I am a sucker for a good World War II story, but this is not my favorite one. I love that it is inspired by a true story. It just was very SLOW and needed some good editing at the beginning of the book!
All that said, I was hooked about halfway through, and I did cry at the end. The French people went through so many horrors, and I admire the Resistance. My husband's uncle was assisted by the Resistance only to be caught and send to a POW camp until the end of the war. The brave French people were his heroes.
I was surprised that this is on many people's list as the best book they have ever read. I think they need to get out a little more. There are so many more rich, classical books out there!
This is my third Kristin Hannah book. I read the Great Alone, and that was a slog like this one. I read The Women, and I loved it. I think that one was because I was close in age, grew up in a Southern California beach town, and lived the Vietnam War as a civilian. That one was one of my favorites of the year. Go figure!
I would love to see it in film, and I just read this on Wikipedia:
Filming began on March 29, 2026 in Budapest.[25] On July 10, 2026, TriStar pushed the film to March 19, 2027.[26]
It will star real-life sister Dakota and Elle Fanning. So I am all for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment