Thursday, May 20, 2021

Truman by David McCullough

 


Truman
by David McCullough
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an excellent book and a satisfying read. David McCullough is my favorite biographer, and this book is narrated by him. I walked away with great respect for Truman. I was 13 when he died, but I have no recollection of his death. It is interesting reading this after having read the Oppenheimer biography last month since they overlap in the dropping of the atomic bomb on Japan.

This audiobook also has recordings of excerpts of some of his speeches, and McArthur's famous speech to Truman and Congress on April 19, 1951, best known for its final lines in which he quoted an old army ballad: "'Old soldiers never die--they just fade away.' And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away--an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty. Good-bye."

Excellent in every way!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...