Sunday, May 02, 2021

THE CAVE, THE TABLE, THE ROAD, THE FIRE: THE ROAD


Me On the Road in Avebury, England, 2016

This is the third OMS vow: take the gospel to the nations. "The road calls me to 'set my heart on pilgrimage' (Psalm 84:5), to take the kind of risks which force me to rely upon God's provision and protection" (p. 78).


Photo Credit Bec Brown at www.quotefancy.com 

Martureo is the Greek word for "witness." It is where we get the English word "martyr." "When the Spirit fills the followers of Jesus we begin to embody (give our lives) as witnesses to his resurrection. The Road is both an invitation and a commitment to 'Go'" (p. 78).

Celtic Christian talked about "Christ's call to 'peregrinate' - a perpetual pilgrimage in search of another home" (p. 78). 

QUESTIONS FOR THE ROAD:

Might God be calling me to "go" some place new, either geographically, relationally, or culturally?

The OMS Guide describes this vow as "inherently adventurous." When I answer this question above, I think that he has. We thought we would raise our kids in Southeast Asia, but God had our "place" new to be here in Corvallis. Go figure! We packed up our whole lives here and went to a new place geographically. Then, we were called back home, and I left surrendered but not really having my preference.

Now that our kids are grown, we are looking at options to go back. We don't know how, when, or where but; we are so open. I pray every day for peoples around the world. I prayed this morning for the people in refugee camps in a remote part of South Sudan. 

Is my life predictable or am I allowing the Spirit to blow me in new directions in ways that are disruptive and surprising?

I am allowing the Spirit to blow me in new directions that have been disruptive, but at the same time, it is the vision that God gave me on November 3, 2018. I am in a "new" place relationally. I have met many wonderful people from around the world, and I am helping develop resources on Abiding in Christ. That is a "new" place for me and has caused me to go out of my comfort zone, but I have grown more and more into my role, and I rather like it now. 

I am so surprised at how God caused it all to come about too!



No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

I had to set my Alexa timer twice because she heard me say 50 minutes instead of 15. So, here I go. I know I have not been doing as many fre...