Saturday, July 20, 2019

Saturday Seventeen Minute FREEWRITE

We were supposed to be gone on an anniversary getaway, but other plans were in store for this girl. As a pre-anniversary surprise, Micah and Brittany told George they would take me out in the boat and give me a ski ride, but I fractured my tibia while trying to get out of the water. It is a "plateau fracture," and it might require surgery if there is an ACL or MCL (not sure if I have that right) tear. So, guess what we are doing on my anniversary weekend? ICING, IBUFROFEN, ELEVATING, and doing "ANKLE PUMPS"! George is doing what he does best: being a nurse for me (again). If he were not a brilliant statistician, he would make a great nurse. He is a gem. I am sorry this happened, but I seem to be managing well. Within minutes of asking for crutches on Facebook, someone responded. Carey asked if we wanted meals from the church. People are praying. What more could a girl ask for?

So it is pretty funny that I am reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee this week! (Yes, I already posted my review on this blog. Sometimes, if I am more than halfway through a book and know I will finish it and have a definite opinion of it that will not likely change, I go ahead and post a review if I am doing it along with ones I have already finished just to "batch" post.) I laughed when I realized that. 

I am also loving my 40-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I had purchased this so long ago (April 2017) but with the start of the Renovare Institute and then the Spiritual Exercises, I put it on the back burner. It has been precious to read the quotes from Life Together (read in 2016 http://carolhomeschool2.blogspot.com/2016/06/22-life-together-by-dietrich-bonhoeffer.html) and meditating on community. With this knee injury, I have seen the power of community in my life. Even though it was a bummer to have my knee injury at the beginning of our boating adventure, it was still so lovely to be with Micah, Brittany, Katherine, and George on the boat and talking about deep things and fun things. God is so good to give us rich community who love Him and want to follow Him with their whole heart. They are all such lovely young people. 

So what have I been doing during my confinement at home? I have been reading the book above that I already mentioned. I am also reading Desert Solitaire: reflections of Edward Abbey on his time in Arches National Park in the 1960s before it became touristy. This is the popular park with the amazing arches (and the one that people swing from - Here is a super fun video of them doing this - https://youtu.be/4B36Lr0Unp4).

I am also having a Colin Firth Film Fest since George got me DVDs in the A-B letters, and the whole Bridget Jones Diary films are there. I had also gotten one from the library the day before because I had seen one advertised while we were watching another British film. All things Colin and British so far in my convalescence! LOL!

Well, I am sure there is more to say about this odyssey of injury, but I must go ICE and ELEVATE in bed. It has been so good to be upright for a bit to sit and type this and have my devotional time. I like sitting upright, but it is better to elevate.

Timer sounding and off! 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...