Friday, July 16, 2021

Christian Meditation: Practice and Teachings for Entering the Mind of Christ


 This is not actually the book by the same name and author, but it is more an audio guide through Christian Meditation. I loved it, and I got it because one of the Centering Prayer group I am in keeps reading quotes from it, and I always love it.

This is not about Buddhism! I think evangelicals have totally lost the whole practice of the presence of God. It has become more "crank a blank" Bible studies and regurgitated Scripture from the latest pop preacher or speaker. We need to get back to what I think is our true roots. So the blurb below is NOT advocating Buddhism. Just sayin'! (When I first read it, I didn't like it either.) 

Here is a blurb: 

In 1967, Thomas Merton traveled to Thailand, seeking to further the Buddhist-Christian dialogue that was his passion. It was to be his last journey. This beloved Trappist monk and explorer of the inner life died unexpectedly on that trip, but not before writing a final letter to his brothers at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky. In it, Merton wrote that he now realized that everything he had been searching for could be found at his own hermitage, within the Christian tradition. It is in this spirit, with respect for all faiths (but not embracing - my addition), that James Finley offers Christian Meditation, an audio retreat about the fundamental practices at the heart of Christianity's own unique meditation tradition.

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...