Saturday, March 08, 2014

9. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

11152 I think everyone should read this book at least once in their lifetime. I had listened to the audiobook a couple of years ago, but there were many times that I wanted to write down the quotes. My Book Dames Book Club decided to read it this year so I was able to read/listen again and stop and underline in George's book from the 1970's! 

This book could not be more perfectly timed as I just had a listening prayer time with a person where that person was hearing and believing a lot of lies from the enemy.

My favorite quote from p.59 in the 1977 version:

Screwtape clarifies the Enemy's intent:
   "Of course I know that the Enemy also wants to detach men from themselves, but in a different way. Remember always, that He really likes the little vermin, and sets an absurd value on the distinctness of every one of them. When He talks of their losing their selves, He only means abandoning the clamour of self-will; once they have done that, He really gives them back all their personality, and boast (I am afraid, sincerely) that when they are wholly His they will be more themselves than ever. Hence, while He is delighted to see them sacrificing even their innocent wills to His, He hates to see them drifting away from their nature for any other reason. And we should always encourage them to do so."




No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...