Sunday, December 17, 2023

The God of Small Things



This book is beautifully written. But the story is so sad and goes back and forth where there was great confusion. I had to look it up on SparkNotes to understand what was happening. I wouldn't recommend it. 


Here is why James Mustich thinks it should be one of the 1000 Books You Read Before You Die:

Skittering between present and past, Arundhati Roy’s intense novel of a shattered family is infused with the sights and smells of southern India; it’s an indelible depiction of the struggles of women and of lower- caste Indians against the enduring constraints of traditional society. Yet the sensual and social specificity of the tale only deepens the resonance of the book’s grasp of a far-reaching truth: how human structures empower fate, turning essential yearnings for love and security into ineluctable tragedy. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

I had to set my Alexa timer twice because she heard me say 50 minutes instead of 15. So, here I go. I know I have not been doing as many fre...