Saturday, December 09, 2023

Saturday Sixteen Minute Freewrite

Photo by Max Beck on Unsplash

I have not had a freewrite in so long. The fall is a blur. George and I have gone on several walks and wondered how summer was over. It has been so good, so rich, so full; but it is time for the Advent season where I want to slow down and put my attention to contemplating the Incarnation and arrival of that baby born in a manger. 

Last weekend, I spent from Friday at 12:30 pm to Sunday at 1:00 pm in a virtual Advent retreat by Pray as You Go, St. Beuno's, and Imagine. It was such a beautiful time (just as beautiful as the daily Pray as You Go meditations because the retreat was run by Emma, the director of Pray as You Go and a beautiful soul) with 13 retreatants at St. Beuno's and 27 of us online. I had to get up at 1:30 am on Saturday and Sunday, but it was 100% worth it. 

Interesting contrast. I went from this retreat which was little talking, a lot of contemplation, and personal prayer with two optional short times of sharing in a small group time to one on Monday which was ninety-nine percent time talking, and one percent time for contemplation and prayer. One poem was read with no time to contemplate its words. The bulk of our time was spent in a small group, where one person read a paragraph and we spent the rest of the time answering six questions. Oh dear. Bless their hearts. I loved the people in my small group (because they were the only people I knew out of the larger group and were randomly put in my group). Such a contrast though. 

Can you tell me which one I prefer more? I have been hanging out with Jesuits for a long time, and I love the way they do things. 

Monday also brought me into a whirlwind of work. I had to call, Fran, my spiritual director for somewhat of an emergency meeting as I had a sticky situation that I was in ministry-wise. This full day was followed by two mornings of training new directors with Sustainable Faith. WOW! So life-giving for me to be with this great group of mature believers who want to grow in their ability to companion people on their Jesus journey. It was inspiring and always a pleasure to "shadow" (they call me an "intern") my trainers, Marty and Sandy. They are the bomb. SO GOOD at what they do. Marty had to demonstrate doing a spiritual direction session with someone, and I was the guinea pig. I felt really safe with Marty. So, I was pretty vulnerable. After my emotional and full Monday, it was great to unpack that with him (and ok that 14 other people were watching, I think). 

So, the week was full, but I officially entered vacation mode at 12:10 pm when my last directee for 2023 left my house (such a wonderful, sweet person, by the way). 

George and I walked to Pastini's to have a celebration lunch! It has been a good year. Today I listened to Lectio365 since I was focused on other things since October in my devotional time. Jill started an Advent series that is delightful. So, I will be following their journey for the next three-plus weeks until Christmas. It should be great. I also have a devotional from Bill O'Bryne that I am enjoying, Advent Exercises, I liked his Lenten Devotional, and this is just as good. 

Well, I am committed to only writing for 16 minutes, and I have 25 seconds to go. God is so good. I love where He is taking me/us lately. It is so good to walk with Him.
 

No comments:

The Long Walk (1000 Books to Read)

This is a harrowing account. It was an incredible journey! Here is why James Mustich thinks it should be one of the 1000 Books You Read Befo...