Sunday, June 02, 2019

22. You Are What You Love

This book started off strong describing our "liturgies...rituals that are loaded with an ultimate Story about who we are and what we're for" (p. 46). I loved his description of the disordered liturgies as those that "bend the needle of our heart . . . when such liturgies are disordered, aimed at rival kingdoms, they are pointing us away from our magnetic north in Christ" (p. 47). He has a fantastic description of the shopping mall as part of the "liturgy of consumption." He also nails my problem with "seeker sensitive"churches and "hip church youth groups," but I felt like the solution to the disordered liturgies (ancient liturgical practices like worship, praying the Hours, etc.) were not getting to the heart of the matters which is our "disordered loves," and I think Ignatian books deal with this matter in a better way.  I got bored with the book toward the end too. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...