Sunday, December 21, 2014

48. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom


"His will is your hiding place" Betsie Ten Boom


“There are no 'ifs' in God's Kingdom. His timing is perfect. His will is our hiding place. Lord Jesus, keep me in Your will! Don't let me go mad by poking about outside it.”  Corrie Ten Boom




"There is no pit so deep that He [God] is not deeper still." Betsie Ten Boom

I read this book in 1993 and again in 2009 with my book club, and they gave it the second highest score of all time with a 9.65 out of 10 (out of 117 books read over a 10 year period). It is a book I think everyone should read at least once in their lifetime. It is that good. 
This is one of my top ten favorite books. I was offered a free audiobook in April 2011, but I had never gotten around to listening to it. Having several long car journeys, I thought it would be perfect time to take the plunge. The narration was excellent.
I was also motivated to reread it after having the opportunity to go to Corrie Ten Boom's home and THE hiding place in May of this year: 




The Hiding Place - Hard to Believe So Many Jews Hid in this Very Small Space
What a thrill to sit in the front room of the Ten Boom home that I read about in the book:



Or look out over the city from the little balcony where the Jews could sometimes sit to get some fresh air:



You can read my reflections on that day HERE. It was a dream come true to go to the home of my heroes: The Ten Boom family!




The Ten Booms owned a clock shop in Haarlem, Netherlands and began hiding Jews in their "secret room" during the Nazi occupation of their country during World War II. They were sent to a concentration camp for their selfless service. This is their story told from Corrie's perspective. 
Corrie's Father's Father Began the Ten Boom Watch Shop in January 1837. It still exists today!


The alleyway at the side of the Ten Boom Jewelers 
It is such a beautiful book. 

My husband thought it was odd I was listening to this book during the Christmas season, but as I listened to the last few pages, I realized that this Christmas week is the 70th anniversary of Corrie Ten Boom's release from Ravensbrück Concentration Camp!


No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...