Thursday, December 30, 2021

2021 Reading Wrap Up

 






I made it through the LBJ series by Caro early this morning! What a way to close out the year!

Some of these are questions from Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks. She changed it last year. So I have added some questions that I liked from previous years and some of my own. 

For all my books with a bit of commentary, click the link HERE.

How many books did you read? 72

Which books would you recommend everyone read? 

NON-FICTION/HISTORY/BIOGRAPHY FAVORITES:


It is a huge investment of time, but it helped me understand the brave pioneers of the  Civil Rights Movement!

The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson Book 4


These overlap with the Civil Rights Movement and the important role that Johnson played in it. It also helps you understand the race issues we have today and how our government works. So they are valuable to read for someone who wants to labor through them. What is funny is, as of last year, he still had 6 more years of Johnson's life, and Caro is 86 years old! He better get moving!


It made me want to move to Savannah, Georgia to meet the colorful people there! Berendt wrote this non-fiction to read more like a novel. I loved it. 

INFORMATIVE NON-FICTION FAVORITES:
 
Recommended by my two best friends who work with girls in this age bracket. 

Wow! I was mesmerized by this. I have recommended it to many.

9/11 Commission Report (1000 Books To Read) 


Really thorough and informative. 

FICTION FAVORITES:
This was a sweet read and uplifting.

Which character did you fall in love with? The Warden! Honest and lovely man. 

The Bourne Identity (1000 Books List) 

Surprisingly liked it even though this is not usually my genre. This guy can write!

I Capture the Castle (1000 Books List)

Sweet read. 

Great read. It was a page-turner with fantastic writing!

I didn't really like any of the other fiction that I read on the 1000 Books to Read Before You Die List. I am in search of better fiction in the future. 

SPIRITUAL FICTION FAVORITES:

Hinds' Feet( on High Places (Reread of an old favorite)


SPIRITUAL NON-FICTION FAVORITES:

The Deeply Formed Life (Renovare Book Club)

Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero (Preparation for a podcast interview I did)


The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (For the Podcasts) 

 
Did you discover any "new to you" authors? 

Robert Caro - I read five books by him. They were all very long and very detailed. I feel like I know so much about Robert Moses and Lyndon B Johnson now! 

Taylor Branch (America in the King Years) - His books were long and well-researched. He has given a gift to the world IMHO.

Clarisa Ward (On All Fronts) - I loved her memoir about life as a world correspondent. I could not put it down. She is another braver person!

On All Fronts: The Education of a Journalist by Clarissa Ward


Anthony Trollope -
I have enjoyed the TV series made from his books. So I finally read one of his and really enjoyed The Warden.

What was your reading goal this year and did you have a plan, and/or follow rabbit trails or wing it? 

Followed Goals: Get through the Renovare Book Club, Order of the Mustard Seed Year of Preparation, Abiding Podcast Preparation, and 1000 Book to Read Before You Die Lists. I did decide to pick and choose which books I would read from the Book Babes Book Club due to my increased reading with the Abiding and Power Podcasts and Resource Development project. 

Where did your armchair travels take you? 

Mexico, England, Savannah, Georgia, Deep South, Johnson City, Texas to Washington, D.C., Kalispell, Montana, Wars all over the world, New York. All over the world with Jason Bourne!

Which books stood out, made an impression and/or stayed with you the longest? What did you learn from them? 


Parting the Waters, Pillar of Fire, and At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years 1954-1968


Taylor Branch's books were so instrumental for me in seeing an up-close and personal look at the pioneers of the Civil Rights Movement! WOW!


Which book had the most original, most unique story?  

The Story of My Teeth


It was very original, but I didn't like it! 

Which book made you laugh? 

I don't recall any that did this year! I need some more light-hearted ones for 2022!


Which one made you cry?

Parting the Waters, Pillar of Fire, and At Canaan's Edge - I was even physically ill at parts when I read what atrocities the people in the Civil Rights Movement endured. They were heroes! 

Which books did you like the least and why? 

The Story of My Teeth (see above) and 

Both were just really stupid. 

Because it was just this long list of all these women who were killed. It got tedious to hear it over and over again. It made for a very long book, and it did not move the story along. 
 
A bunch of depressing stories about women! Hated most of them. Why don't we have more uplifting stories about the lives of women who live free and empowered?

Favorite Cover: 


1 comment:

Gretchen said...

What an interesting reading year you had! I'm glad you found some fiction that you enjoyed and hope you find some good recommendations for 2022.

Happy New Year!

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...