Friday, September 24, 2021

Spiritual Rhythms for the Enneagram by Calhoun and Loughrige

 


This book took me FOREVER to get through. I think it is because it really is more of a reference book than a "read through" book. I had to read the sections in my Harmony Triad (2-5-8) for my iEnneagram Harmony Triads Practitioner Certification training (This is great, but I heartily recommend a general Enneagram training before doing this. I was certified in a 9-month training cohort through Enneagram Portland and two classes with Russ Hudson of the Enneagram Institute [He is my favorite teacher.] I know people who just do the iEnneagram training that is excellent at combining Enneagram and spiritual practices, but they really do not totally understand the dynamics of the Enneagram and the various perspectives of it by just doing this certification.)

It has taken me the better part of nine months to read the rest of it! I meet with an Enneagram 7 today. So I hope to read that chapter thoroughly. It helps when I can reference it when helping people of that personality type! 

I think it really helps me understand and have empathy for all the different personality types. It really emphasizes who we are all so different, and how we can all grow in our relationship with God. I really love the Loughriges, and their contributions to helping people understand the Enneagram is not just a personality typing system but something that can help us become more aware of how our coping mechanisms/defense mechanisms keep us from experiencing God's presence and walking in His presence out into the world. This book is a great summary of the work they have done for years. 

There are a couple of mistakes in the book if you ever read it, I can tell you what those are. 

Definitely not a "read through" book and more of a reference book. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...