Wednesday, April 24, 2019

9. The Cloud of Unknowing and The Book of Privy Counseling

201930I have read quotes from this book several times. So it was good to read it with the Renovare Book Club. I think the helps with the RBC helped make it easier to digest. It is not my favorite book, but it has some real gems. I kept writing in the margin about it being so opposite of what Ignatius recommends. This unknown author recommends just forgetting everything and going into this cloud of the unknowing God, putting aside reason, understanding, and emotions (apophatic). Ignatius says to pay attention to all of that (kataphatic). Then the RBC had an article about the difference between the kind of prayer/meditation in the Cloud and in the Spiritual Exercises. Of course, that made it interesting, and my spiritual director knew all about this. (See article about this HERE. It does not print well. So I have a clean copy I can send you.)

I think discussing it with the sharp and loving women in my book club also helped me like this book a bit better. 

I do have to let you see one woman's take on this kind of meditation versus other kinds. The illustration is so cute!

http://www.consideringlilies.nl/contemplation-again/



No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...