Friday, December 23, 2016

51. The Life and Times of Call the Midwife by Heidi Thomas



I devoured the Call the Midwife trilogy of Worth's books back in 2013. Worth based them on her deeply personal experience of working in the East End of London in the 1950s (see reviews HERE), and this book was just icing on the cake. It made me cry. I really thought I would just look at the pictures, but the text was so beautifully written by the writer for the series, Heidi Thomas (Cranford and Upstairs, Downstairs). It was especially moving because Worth died just months before filming began.



The diary of Thomas' experience is my favorite part, but the background chapters are fascinating. I learned so much about life in Poplar. The cherry on top was the chapter on Christmas in the East End since I finished reading on December 23.

Wonderful read and gorgeous photographs!

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...