Tuesday, December 06, 2016

45. Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World by Henri J.M. Nouwen

And you cannot go wrong with a Van Gogh on the cover!
Why had I never read this book before? It is priceless and beautiful, and I give it my highest recommendation. I am reading it for my Renovare Spiritual Formation Online Book Club. The discussion starts on January 2 if you want to join in. Just click on the link.

Henri talks with his Jewish friend about our belovedness before God. So many yummy quotes!

I will share just one:

“Aren't you, like me, hoping that some person, thing, or event will come along to give you that final feeling of inner well-being you desire? Don't you often hope: 'May this book, idea, course, trip, job, country or relationship fulfill my deepest desire.' But as long as you are waiting for that mysterious moment you will go on running helter-skelter, always anxious and restless, always lustful and angry, never fully satisfied. You know that this is the compulsiveness that keeps us going and busy, but at the same time makes us wonder whether we are getting anywhere in the long run. This is the way to spiritual exhaustion and burn-out. This is the way to spiritual death.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen, Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World



No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...